Saturday, March 9, 2013

humming bird inlay

I have nearly completed the last of the inlays that need to be done. This inlay was for the prototype spice cabinet. I built 7 spice cabinets and this was the first to get started and the last to get the inlay done. I used Honduran redheart, blood wood, some yellow stuff, maple for the flowers. I wanted to have a red breast for the bird so I found some dyed camel bone for the red and green. The wings are bubinga and black palm. The body is maple. I still need to scrape the thing down to the field and then I will use some poly that has UV inhibitor for the surface. I do not care for poly, but it was the only thing that I could find that would help keep the blood wood and redheart red. If UV inhibitor is not used, then the flowers would turn to a yucky brown. Hope that you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment