Nicuraguan red heart was use for some of the petals. I have an array of red wood from around the world, so I am not sure what the other woods are.
I use a combination of Marquetry and Intarsia to give a texture to the flowers. The raised stems are walnut.
I laid out the lid cut and cut the lid with my hand saw.
This worked...but you need to be dead on. I was off by a 1/16".
I actually had period authentic hinges for the box, but they were flimsy and authentic or not, I did not want to use them.
The corners are hand cut mitered dovetails. This is the corner after glue up. I use hide glue to glue the flowers and corners.
The interior of the box will begin with the addition of small boxes and hidden drawers. I have also ordered what is called baize. This is the material that is makes up the actual writing surface. With the lack of penmanship being taught in the school, I wonder if a pen tray would ever be used. Stay tuned for future posts on the interior.