copyright

Sunday, February 12, 2012

sandpaper cabinet

Every year I go to a small town in central Utah and take a class in traditional woodworking. Chris Gochner is the instructor. If you are not aware, Chris is a contributing editor to a national woodworking magazine called "Fine Woodworking". I have learned so much by taking this training. I always felt that I could never build a chair. After my first class with Chris, I feel that I can make nearly anything. My quality is not that great, but I certainly have fun. The project this year was a cherry arts and crafts cabinet. I was originally going to put my chisels into this cabinet, but I did not have a good place for my sanding supplies so that is what I decided to do with this little cabinet.
 The glass has a bamboo motif. The panel is gum wood. I have yet to build a pull for the door.
The top of the sides joined the top with hand cut dovetails. The bottom is joined with through wedged dovetails. The door has through mortise and tenons. They are draw bored using a riven cherry dowel. The dowels were pushed below the surface by about 3/16" and then plugged with ebony.  You cannot see the shelves on the inside, but there are four shelves to handle all of the grits that I use.



 This picture is of the crown of the cabinet. There is a large rabbet (yes it is spelled correctly), on the crown that allows it to fit over the sides and front of the cabinet. This essentially covers the dovetails, but the joinery does not need to be seen. The next step in cutting this crown was to put a groove that would allow a large #7 plane to follow to give the slope that you see. The miters would sawn on a hand miter saw and "shot" on a miter jack.




                                                                                                                                                                      I antiqued the hinges  by fuming them in ammonia. The cherry will usually turn a deep beautiful red after a few months, but I don't want to wait so I treat it with sodium hydroxide. This reacts with tannins in the wood and helps it to change in a matter of moments. This was a great little cabinet to make. Every part of it was done with hand tools. It will hang above my downdraft sanding table for ease of use.
I hope that you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work..I enjoyed my visit. I wii be back. Ron

    ReplyDelete